Posts Tagged ‘sequins’

It’s like a wearable disco ball!

I may swear off of sequins for a while, this dress was almost the death of me.  There are still some little things that I’m not completely satisfied with but there really isn’t much I can do about it except to start over…like that’s gonna happen. 😀

So here it is for your viewing pleasure.  If you would like to see it up close and personal, feel free to drop by Fabricland at 1352 Weber Street N in Kitchener where it will be on display for the next few months.

Advertisements

Sparkle Dress update

I think this dress is gonna take a bit longer than anticipated.  I find the sequin removal a bit tedious but I know it will be worth the end results.  I will have to pick up some invisible thread so when the dress is together I can re-sew some of the sequins back onto the dress.

In order to do the dart I knew i had to take out the sequins first, especially at the point, so it would lay flat.  What I did the first time was to draw on the sewing line with a marker and then cut out the sequins from that line.  The yellow dot in the first picture is my pin marking the end of the dart.

PB110043

 

PB110044

Once the lines were on I simply snipped the sequins in half being careful not to cut the thread holding them to the fabric.  The sequins are attached with a chain stitch so I didn’t want to accidently cut the thread and have it unravel.

When I did the first dart I just removed the sequins along the stitching line.  I realized after sewing that I needed to remove almost all of the sequins, especially at the dart point, so that it would lay flat.  I also cut the dart open to remove any bulk.

PB110049

PB110055

Once the dart was done, I moved on to working on the seams.  In hindsight I should have cut the front as one piece, despite the fact that the pattern has it in two pieces.  The pattern shows this center front seamline as a decorative seam with topstitching on either side but due to the fabric I’m using, it wouldn’t show so I’m not doing any topstitching.  One thing I did want to show is what the dart looks like, and this will be how my seams will appear as well.  Because I had to remove sequins, there is a line around the seam where the backing fabric shows through.  To remedy this I’ll need to sew sequins back on to the dress to cover up these spaces.

PB110056

If the sequins were in a straighter pattern this may not have been as much of an issue but the wavy pattern makes it near impossible to avoid having the backing fabric show through.

I’ll be updating again soon, hopefully with photos of the finished dress.

Sparkle Sparkle!!

I love things that sparkle, with the exception of certain vampires but that is a whole other story.

One of my fav things about my job is that we have an opportunity to make displays to show off the fabrics in the store.  It’s been proven time and time again that these displays help sell the fabrics because it allows our customers to visualize what it will look like when made up.  It also allows us, the employee’s, to understand how the fabric is when making something out of it.  Sometimes we get so excited about a fabric only to find out it is incredibly difficult to work with, or doesn’t wash well or something like that.

For me, it allows me to make fun stuff that I normally wouldn’t bother with because of the expense.  I also like that it gives me an opportunity to use fabrics that are challenging, such as my next display.

We got in several bolts of sequined fabric.  Not the kind that is just sprinkled with a few sequins, but the kind that is completely covered with no fabric backing showing.  I’m naturally attracted to shiny things so I’ve been coveting this a bit since it showed up in the back room. 

Earlier, before the shiny fabrics arrived, I had asked to do this Vogue dress out our our Ponti De Roma knit.
V1150

It’s a fantastic dress and I spent more time than I should have trying to avoid black but ultimately I ended up with black because it was all I could find a contrast fabric for.  So I submitted my idea but I got it back with the note that the fabric has already been used and to try something else.  I let it sit for about a week before it hit me.  I could use the sparkly sequin fabric!  I thought about it for a few more days, partially because it’s a difficult fabric to work with and partially because I was unsure about the pockets on the dress and how that would look in the sequins.

What I settled on was to do the silver sequin fabric with black pvc contrast around the zipper.  I also decided to add the black pvc around the pockets to add a little contrast and to make them stand out a bit. 

So here’s my fabric!

DSC_1114

The sequin fabric as this cool flame-like design at the borders so I plan to use that at the hem of my dress.  I will be lining the whole thing with black knit lining fabric.  I plan to line the inside of the collar with the lining fabric as well so it won’t be scratchy on my neck.

I am going to try stitching through the sequins first.  Failing that, I’ll have to remove the sequins from the seam allowances first.  I’ll be using a heavier ball point needle on my machine since it’s a knit mesh backing.

The pieces are almost all cut out so I’ll be updating the progress of the dress shortly!